Carolingians are an Order of Friars dedicated to maintaining peace between the Religious state, and the Secular state. These Friars also act as Emmisaries to different religions and groups to help broker peace and harmony within the community. Distinctive in Green Robes, Carolingians are and were the center of the study of law and order.
To be a Carolingian means to be versed in EVERY major an minor religion. Knowing their laws, bans, rights, practices, theories, and faith helps a Carolingian to breach the peace and broker acceptable middle ground between gatherings of religious and secular persons.
This is why Carolingians wore the green robe. Monkish in cut, (or friarish if you will) it usually was Forest green in colour, although ANY sort of Green will do in this day and age. Some, in the Scottish and Welsh lands, wore their hair in a MOHAWK! At the time of the height of the order, having long hair was considered "manly". By cutting their hair in a different way other than the Christian monks, and FAR different that the warriors of the time, they made themselves quite noticable for the time. Hence they could easily be distinguished from Christian monks, and Paladins!
What were their practices?: Well, most WERE Christian, although there was a VERY large number of Pagan and Islamic Friars who worshiped side by side with them. So, in this day and age it doesnt matter WHAT you worship just so long as you DO worship.
Carolingian theory established two, separate, ecclesiastical and secular spheres of authority within Religious society, one to lead the body and one the spirit. From the eighth century on Religious peace would therefore entail two things: one the external protection of social order by force and imperial legislation, the other a distinct internal peace of the heart, based on Gospel ethics but restricted to monks and clerics. The Carolingians insured that each sphere kept to its own business. Monastic life was supported, encouraged, and carefully directed; while late Roman prohibitions against clerical participation in the army were repeated again and again. However, this tradition of religious peacemaking preserved the message of the Gospels with a clear understanding of the meaning of nonviolence that was to reveal itself throughout the Carolingian age in a variety of active forms. Among the thinkers and writers on issues of peace and peacemaking were Alcuin of York, Smaragdus of Saint-Mihiel, Druthmar of Corbie, Paschasius Radbertus, Hincmar of Rheims, and Rather of Liège. In keeping with their time, these offered various interpretations of peace as an inner tranquillity, legal guidelines to the curbing of military violence, or the image of peace as an ideal Spiritual state.
It is also written that the Carolingian Order was established to maintain a balance between what was good, from what was evil. Some speculate that the Order was the last line of defense against the forces of Darkness that sought to invade the peace of the common man, through corruption or sin. By expunging these, the Order kept the balance of peace. In the modern world we would view them as Pagans, Ghosthunters, or even as some would have it, Emissaries.
What are the rules?
- ALWAYS MAINTAIN NEUTRALITY! We are the "middle ground" needed to broker peace between arguments. I know some of you think being neutral is sometimes a bad thing. Yes, it is. BUT when dealing with religious arguments the middleground is EXACTLY where you need to be! Neither supporting, nor arguing against the sides. We are here to find a solid center so the parties involved CAN be heard.
- NEVER Desecrate Sacred sites, objects, books, or by process allow the harming of Sacred or Holy religious persons. If you have to use force to stop the object or person being desecrated, then it is your SACRED CHARGE TO DO SO!
- Be strong in your faith. Be it Christianity, Islam, Pagan, Zorrastrian, Bhuddist...WHATEVER YOUR FAITH. Strength of will comes through strength of faith.
- HOLD ALL FAITHS SACRED. This is by far the most important rule. ALL religions and faiths serve the ONE. By whatever name that entity is called! ALL GODS ARE AS ONE GOD, ALL GODDESSES AS ONE GODDESS. ALL ARE SACRED.
- KNOWLEDGE. It is the DUTY of a Carolingian to know as much about all existing religions around them. Read their sacred texts, attend their groups, ask questions about their beliefs. THE MORE YOU KNOW, THE MORE YOU UNDERSTAND AND CAN HELP BROKER THE PEACE.
- MAINTAIN YOUR CALM. I know this is a hard thing to do against the strain of the moment. But if I can do this,(TRUST ME, After serving 16 years in the military, my temper is NOT something to be taken lightly) then SO CAN YOU!
- Listen to BOTH sides. In faith we often find that it is unidirectional. But with EVERY religion saying theirs "is the right and true one", it is sometimes hard to find a middle path. By listening to BOTH sides of the argument, and knowing the religions involved, you can help ALL parties involved to reach an equitable arraingement.
- Strength and honour. Physical strength is sometimes needed to separate clashing religions. By keeping your body fit, and maintaining a good standing in the community, you can present NOT ONLY a solid RELIGIOUS projection, but also a force to be reckoned with exterior. I am not saying you need to be a ninja, but having SOME kind of martial dicipline will help maintain the peace, AND give you inner self respect.
- TELL THE TRUTH NO MATTER HOW BADLY IT HURTS. By telling the truth and keeping your word you will come to be respected for you opinion, and your judgment. If BOTH sides respect you, then it will go MUCH easier when handling any situation. EVEN IF THE TRUTH HURTS THE FEELINGS, IT IS BETTER TO SAY THE TRUTH! They will respect you for your honesty!
- Adhere to your Religion. Obey ALL the laws therein, and trust unto your creator(s) and yourself.